Royal Lace® Doily Crafts
- Print the pattern onto plain copy or printer paper.
- Cut the square pattern out, cutting on the solid lines.
- Lay pattern on top of colored paper and trace the square. Cut out the square from the colored paper.
- Keep the pattern square on top of the colored square. Either hold it in place with your fingers or tape it down lightly on two of the sides.
- Cut through the pattern and the colored paper along the dotted lines but do not cut in to the center circle.
- Use a thumbtack or stick pin to poke out the holes in every other corner as indicated on the pattern . Set the pattern piece aside.
- Take one corner (one with a hole) and fold it toward the center of the square. Fold the next corner that has a hole and fold it toward the center on top of the first holed corner. Repeat with the other two corners with holes until all four are folded into the center. Glue the folds to each other and to the center. Hold together until dry.
- Push the thumbtack through the center of the pinwheel and into the eraser of the pencil. Make sure the pinwheel isn’t touching the eraser or it won’t spin.
- Glue some sequins to the flaps of the pinwheel and let dry.
- You can use plain white paper and have children color with crayons or markers to decorate before cutting out the pinwheel pattern.
- Decorate with lightweight items such as sequins and stickers or glitter glue. Items like buttons and craft jewels are too heavy.
- If the pinwheel isn’t turning properly, try using a longer stick pin rather than a thumbtack to allow more room between the pinwheel and the eraser.